Thursday, January 08, 2009

Top Hiking Trails in Michigan According to Me

These are my top hiking trials or places to hike in Michigan. Of course they are the places I have hiked in Michigan. I will be more elaborate in my descriptions as I write on each trail or place individually.
  1. Isle Royale - So far my all time favorite place to Backpack, falling asleep hearing the loons and maybe a wolf howl is just my idea of a perfect place. The campsites are fantastic with great scenery whether you are in the interior of the island or on the coast. For being one of the least visited national parks in the country, the size of the island can make it seem rather crowded at the wrong time of the year. By crowded I mean you will probably run into a half a dozen people throughout the day maybe a few more the closer you are to Rock Harbor or Windigo.
  2. Porcupine Mountains - Haven't been there in a while but was the place of my first successful trip, and first and only encounter with a black bear.
  3. Manistee River Trail Loop (NCT) - I rank this loop rather high because it was a nice relaxing trail, supprisingly not very crowded, a great fly fishing river and a supposed waterfall, which if what I saw was the waterfall my definition of a waterfall is way off. all I saw was a trickle coming out of the side of the river bank, but I guess in the L.P. that qualifies as a waterfall.
  4. NCT U.P. - Parts of this trail was not very well maintained, really had the feeling of being out in the wilderness. At times the trail disappeared underneath the thick underbrush, Lots of wild blueberries along trail Labor day weekend. Hiked North to South from where trial leaves Lake Superior headed toward St. Ignace but didn't make it that far.
  5. High Country Pathway - Nice easy hiking spot, Chance to see wild Elk
  6. North Manitou Island - This was my second ever backpacking trip and my second unsuccessful backpacking trip. Definitely worth a second chance, probably would rank higher if I were to go back again. Which I will do some day
  7. Wateroo-Pinckney State Park - This is a nice easy hike, terrain is fairly easy, there is a sign on the trail in one sections warning backpackers to stay on trail entering prison area. Could hear prisoners do exercises or something. No backcountry camping here, must stay at one of I think 3 large campgrounds, oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharkbytes said...

Hey- This is awesome stuff! May I use excerpts, and link back to your blog on the northcountrytrailnews.blogspot.com?

If you have questions email me at jhy@t-one.net

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home